Embellishing my Hearts and a Dressed up Soda Bottle

Hello my friends.  How are you handling these cold winter days?

I don't have much of a problem with the winter blues, but I have found that keeping busy helps me stay positive.

I have been cleaning and organizing.  So far I have tackled my pantry and walk in closet.  The laundry room is next on the list.

But all work and no play makes for a dreary day! 

 I don't know about you, but I need to take time now and then to 'create' something.  Does wonders for the soul and lifts my spirits!


Last week I pulled out some of my favorite fabrics and vintage linens and sewed them into a handful of hearts.
Not my good linens, mind you; but those that are worn or badly stained.

I actually had used half of this to make a cover for my sewing machine.  Part of it was hidden underneath and I accidently cut off the bottom of the bonnet girls skirt.
I was sad and almost trashed it.  Something told me to hang on to her and I'm so glad I did!

Yesterday I sat down and embellished them with trinkets that I have picked up here and there.


It's those little things that give them personality.


The linen ones are so sweet that they need very little, if any.  But the simplistic grain sack and floral hearts can handle getting dressed up.




The little scissors seem to say, "Let's CUT to the chase and fall in love!



I picked the hearts up off of my ottoman and sat them on the tray of my chippy high chair to move them out of the way.

-oh baby-!


I have a few more cut out so my collection will continue to grow.

Friday was a kind of tinkering day for me so I added some embellishments' to a soda bottle.

I'm a little late, but some blog friends issued a craft challenge of repurposing a soda bottle or milk jug.
2 Crochet Hooks Craft Challenge
My youngest daughter, Kylee gave me a basket full of 'cherry goodness' for my birthday in July.   This cherry soda was in it. She knows how much I love anything with cherries on it.

I thought that the bottle was too cute to trash.  I envisioned it as being absolutely darling by the time I got through with it.  lol!
Didn't quite turn out like I imagined, but might be sweet in a Valentines vignette.

I found a cork that fit and dusted it with glitter.  A ring of rhinestones surround the top and a garland of vintage trim wraps around the bottom.  I tossed a handful of pearls inside.


The pin is one that I gave Kylee as a child.  Sweet little flowers, a crochet heart, and a bit of hugs and kisses.
I liked how this photo was blurry but you can see the yummy cherries!

A heart ticket, a small key, and another piece of the vintage trim hang from the side.

Well there you have my bits of  'fun'!

Hope you find time to do what makes you happy.
Great cure for the winter blues!

hugs,
Jann
 
*This post was featured at Coastal Charm for Show and Share.  Thanks so much Linda!
 
 I will be sharing with these lovely blogs:
 
 
 
 


















49 comments

Patti said...

Adorable hearts! There is just something about cutting my linens - but then, I just LOVE these little hearts with bits of embroidery. I just have to do it! Happy Creating!

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Little things...

... mean a lot.

SEW very precious and cherry-cheery!

Hugs and happy week, Jann!
Kelley~

Anonymous said...

I "heart" your newest creations!

Susie said...

Jann, I adore those hearts. :) So sweet. The bottle is really cute too. You have been busy. Today is cold and grey here. But I saw my daughter for a little visit and that was fun. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Art and Sand said...

love . . . love . . . love those embroidered hearts . . . love them all, but the embroidery is beautiful!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Love the hearts- especially the little girl with the bonnet! I'm keeping busy too- I just have to or go stir crazy! The bottle is cute- love the glittered cork!

Conniecrafter said...

Love your hearts, what a great way to use those little scraps you can't part with, fun way to dress up your soda bottle too, very cute!

Pamela Gordon said...

Those hearts are so cute!

Junkchiccottage said...

Jann,
Love the hearts they are so so cute. Love that you used vintage fabrics to make them. They are really sweet.
Kris

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

The hearts are sooo cute, Jann! I love the variety of fabrics and embroidered ones. Your cherry soda bottle turned out darling, too.

Tea in the Library said...

Adorable. Art & Sand is working on hearts too. GMTA. Very cheery for a dreary January day.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your pile of hearts are the sweetest things, Jann! Now you've got me thinking about ONE MORE thing I'd like to copy....er work on. I need your energy!!!

Thanks for sharing!
Vickie

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Adorable little pillows. I so have trouble cutting up pieces even when they are not in good shape. But seeing you give them new life is a winner!

Linda W. said...

I love your little hearts. So very cute!

Stephanie said...

Your hearts are precious, Jann! I especially like the ones made out of vintage embroidered linens. And your bottle is just too sweet!

Hugs to you!

decorayadora said...

Hi dear Jan ' que bonitos corazones y hermosa botella !!Que tengas un buen inicio de semana
Cariños

chateau chic said...

Your hearts are adorable, Jann. I love the way you embellished the already very cute fabric pieces.
Mary Alice

Grammy Goodwill said...

I love all those sweet hearts.

Katie Mansfield said...

How adorable! Such sweet hearts. I love that button on the cute bottle.

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Jann,
I love your sweet hearts, they are precious and made me smile!
Hugs,
Jemma

Creations By Cindy said...

I love all of your hearts! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

priscilla said...

So cute jann ! Love those adorable hearts !

Unknown said...

Love those hearts, so sweet! The bottle upcycle is awesome! Such a great idea to hang little trinkets that will bring forth those loving memories!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Beautiful hearts and you have inspired me to use my many embroidered vintage table scarfs and make those wonderful hearts....love the Cherry bottle and the treasures you adorned it with!

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Good Morning Jann! What a darling idea to use old linens for hearts! You have such darling ideas. Have a great day. XX Jo

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Adorable! I'd love to make a couple for Valentine's day... I have so many vintage runners and doilies that I can't sell for the same reasons... discolorations, etc.

Great idea, Jann. :O)

Rose L said...

The little pillows are so adorable! You are so visionary and crafty! Good mix!!
Mymom had her breast cancer surgery today to remove her breast and is doing well. Now the wait for results to know if she will need chemo and/or radiation or just a pill (new treatment) for 5 years.

cynthia lee designs said...

Adorable hearts...love them!!
~Cindy

aspiritofsimplicity said...

sweet little hearts...you have inspired me to go through the stash of scraps I have been meaning to throw awyay

living from glory to glory said...

Hello Dear Jann, I hope you missed me! I was really sick for a while! Praise God I feel alive today! I just hope you are doing well, you at least sound organized :o) I just loved your bundle of hearts! I will be making some of these!
I did Pin them to my craft board!
When you cleaned your place you come visit me Okay>>>>
Hugs and much Love, Roxy

My thrift store addiction said...

Jann, I just love your pretty linen hearts! I too, have been alternating my clutter conquering with creating ;) Hugs, Cecilia

Ruthie Miller said...

Dear Jann,
How clever you are! I love your heart pillows. The toile is so pretty and the sweet girl. Just lovely!
Great creativity~ Ruthie

Kameel huise tussen spore said...

A beautiful selection of the little hearts. They are so adorable.
Thanks for hosting

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Jann,
Those linen hearts are totally adorable! What a great way to use worn linens too. Your bottle looks great decked out for Valentine's Day!
Have a great day!
Gina

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Your hearts art adorable! xoxo

The Charm of Home said...

It is time to get the hearts out! I love what you did with the bottle!
Sherry

Betty said...

Love all the hearts!! I can't even tell you how many quilts and pillowcases I have purchased with the intent of doing something like this but then I can never make myself cut into them. Hugs,

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Such adorable fabric hearts! What a lovely way to use vintage linens! Love the embellishment on the bottle, perfectly pretty for Valentine! Happy crafting! Hugs, Poppy

Curtains in My Tree said...


Love your sweet little hearts, I have been thinking of making some also.Just need to stay home on my days off work and sew

Susan' Hearts and Flowers said...

Your little hearts are adorable! So pretty!

Scrappy quilter said...

They are just wonderful.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Your little hearts are adorable, what a great way to use up those beautiful old linens. Great job with the craft challenge, that bottle is just too cute to not repurpose. Thanks for sharing your treasures at Vintage Inspiration Party.

Anonymous said...

Jan, my first visit. Love your hearts! Thank you for sharing your lovely treasures.

Candy S said...

These little hearts are so sweet. I will have to take a look at some of my old linens (the ones I have not donated yet) and see what I can come up with. This is a great way to make use of the lacy bits of prettyness that might otherwise be thrown away.

Unknown said...

Your hearts are SO pretty. I would love to make some of these for my special friends. I would need to go out and collect some old linens though! Thanks for sharing and blessings to you,
Patti

CD Loken said...

You are so darn creative, Jann!! I ADORE your hearts! Have a great week!

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

What cuties!

Heaven's Walk said...

Oh Jann! Those hearts are soooo adorable! I love them! You are such a creative soul and I love your artist's eye. ♥

xoxo laurie

Unknown said...

I love your bottle project, it's darling. Thanks for joining us for the January Craft Challenge.

Instagram