Towel Bar made from Vintage Hardware

Hi my friends. Today I am sharing an article that I thought you would enjoy.

Make a Towel Bar from Vintage Hardware

By Merri Cvetan

clip_image002

Remodeling a bathroom is a big and expensive undertaking. The results, however, are always worth the effort. Who wouldn't love a new sink, toilet, tub and shower? But if complete remodeling isn't in your cards at the moment, there are several ways to update the room that gets used the most. It's as easy as replacing hardware. You can get new knobs for the vanity or cabinetry or simply replace the towel bar.

clip_image004

As an interior designer I'm always looking for new ways to add style to any room I'm redecorating. Sometimes all it takes is thinking outside the box. When I found an old brass door pull at a flea market, I instantly knew it would be perfect as a towel bar. I assume this one came from an apartment or commercial door. Maybe the lock was in the center opening? It's the perfect size for a hand towel when installed horizontally.

clip_image006

I love the shape and little bit of detail in the design. Don't polish away the old patina—that's part of the charm of antique pieces. The brass gets shiny with use. This bathroom has painted wainscot, so the door pull complements the vintage styling in the room.

clip_image008

Design shouldn't be too serious. Have fun with accessories. I printed an appropriate reminder for the little ones in the family: "Wash Your Hands"!

clip_image010

If your bathroom is a guest powder room, you might want to decorate in a more sophisticated style. Try black and white zebra print towels. I love the contrast of old wainscot and vintage door pull paired with a modern animal print.

clip_image012

Try adding a little bling. The powder room is an easy space to do something unexpected. Go glam and wow your guests. I added a vintage rhinestone and pearl pin to the opening using candle adhesive. It's a waxy substance you use to hold candles in place. It's removable so you can change your "jewels" every season. No holes necessary!

What other repurposed items do you have that could work as new bathroom accessories?

Interior designer and DIY crafter Merri Cvetan writes about her craft projects and on home decor for Home Depot. Home Depot's own selection of towel bars and other bathroom accessories can be viewed online.

I was contacted by a representative for Home Depot wondering if I would be willing to share this article.  I love using unexpected items in different ways and thought Merri’s towel bar was so fun!

What do you think?

hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with these fun parties:

Olives and Okra for funtastic friday

Thoughts from Alice for Sundays at Home

28 comments

Salmagundi said...

Love the idea. It's always fun to find a new use for something old. Sally

Kris said...

I love this idea! And I love vintage hardware. Guess what I am going to be on the hunt for??!!!!
XO Kris

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

your idea is wonderful. I'm putting this item on my "looking for" list to find one with some age on it.

My Painted Garden said...

Thank you for sharing - looks easy to make and makes such a charming addition for towels.
Have a wonderful day.
Blessings, Erin

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

"Wash your hands!" SO wonderfully, truly!

Hugs,
Kelley~

Anonymous said...

OH HOW FUN! I love it! This is such a great idea that only an interior designer would think of, just brilliant! I love it best with the bling and I learned about candle adhesive too, never heard of it before and you can bet I will be checking it out. Thank you for sharing such a lovely idea!

cynthia lee designs said...

Love the old brass door pull...it makes a great towel holder!!
~Cindy

Junkchiccottage said...

Jann,
This is so fun and awesome. Love this idea. So clever.
Love this.
Kris

Leovi said...

Yes, I like, very nice design, that applies is wonderful !!

Kate said...

Lovely idea, it's great to think out the box. Looks lovely. Over from Funtastic Friday.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I love the vintage hardware, Jann! It looks wonderful as a towel bar in the bathroom, but would look cute in the kitchen, too. I'll be on the lookout for one.

Susie said...

Jann, That is a very cute towel holder. I love the bling insert. :):) Hope you are enjoying your weekend. Can you believe we are having near 50 degree temps. ?? Blessings to you, xoxo,Susie

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

What a fabulous idea! I would have to have the insert say "Hang the Towel Straight!" in my house!

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Jann your post was great today! I always look forward to them coming in my inbox. This is such a unique idea. Thanx, XX Jo

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Love the idea, and what a great upcycle. this is a great option for our upstairs bathroom, but I'm keeping my vintage dish covers for our downstairs bathroom. Oh I love the rustic appeal of the hardware!

OF SPRING AND SUMMER said...

What a fun idea!
Have a lovely weekend!
Ingrid

Anonymous said...

Jann, what an interesting towel bar! I would never imagined one like that. I don't think I have the "eye" to see things beforehand. Love the "wash you hands" touch! :-)

Kim said...

Jann, I love this idea! I really never thought of it and it looks great. Hmmm~ I've got a few bars that are looking kind of boring now! Off to brainstorm! ;) Thanks for sharing!

Curtains in My Tree said...


Oh I like your creative idea. I bought a box of metal items once and think I used everything in the box. You just never know what you're going to do with a box of junk(treasures)

My thrift store addiction said...

I love a great repurpose, especially a vintage one! This is great Jann! Blessings, Cecilia

Winnie said...

Jann this is simply AWESOME !!
Very creative, and very beautiful :)

farmhouse-story said...

the vintage hardware is awesome, jann!

Katie Mansfield said...

So adorable. What a great idea.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Love it!!

Jonell w Harrison said...

My kind of creativity lady! I have had hardware stashed for several years and then Out of the blue I recognize a home for it !
That is absolutely beautiful...at the same time simple AND a bit elegant. First class!

living from glory to glory said...

Hi Jann, I think this is such an original idea! I always like different and unusual.
I did PIN this item to share with others! So glad you enjoyed the pictures of my kiddos!
I hope you have a wonderful week!
Love, Roxy

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

That is so clever, and what a neat vintage piece she used.

I would have never thought of doing something like that.

Hugs.

She Yarns Crochet said...

How clever! Looks good, too. Thanks for linking up to Funtastic Friday. Hope to see you again this week.

Instagram