A Hearty Winter Meal. . .Steak Chili

Hello my friends, happy Friday!

Who doesn't like a bowl of chili on a cold Winters Day?  Every now and then it's fun to mix things up a little or give a traditional meal a twist.


So why not make a steak chili?  I first had this at a friends home a few years ago while playing bunco.



 
It's easy to make, delicious and I love the fact that it cooks in a crockpot.
Makes the house smell yummy and it's all ready to eat at the end of the day.
 
This is what it looks like after cooking 5 hours.
 
 
I served it topped with cheese, sour cream, and S&P,
 
 
with cornbread and honey butter on the side.
 
 
The cast iron molds were thrift finds.  They put a little fun into the cornbread.
 
 
I missed getting a photo of the snowman and woman.  A few came out great, but I found I needed to spray it a little better.  A couple lots their tiny arms.  OUCH!
 
Crockpot Steak Chili
(serves 4 to 6)
1 lb beef steak cubed (I used Sirloin)
1 small onion
2  jalapenos chopped (opt.)
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 can diced tomatoes. (I used two because I had extra steak.  One had added green chili's so I left out the jalapenos.)
1 can tomato sauce
2 cans kidney beans ( I used one black and one kidney because that's what I had)
1 or 2 bay leaves
 
Cook beef in a small skillet until browned.  Add to crockpot.  Cook onion and jalapenos in skillet until softened.  Add to crockpot.
Add all remaining ingredients.  (I rinsed beans).  Stir.  Cover and cook on high for 2 or 3 hours then on low for as long as desired.  Stir occasionally.  Remove bay leaves before serving.
 
Enjoy!
Jann
*Just wanted to let you know that although I have word verification off it is showing up lately.  Found out from a blog friend that if you just ignore it and push publish it still will publish it.
 
I will be joining these fun parties:
 
 

26 comments

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I usually make turkey chili but I will have to give this a try. I had to try three times to get your verification word right....kind of a pain in the neck. I was about to give up and not comment.

LL Farm said...

This looks delicious! I love the corn-on-the-cob mold for your cornbread ;-)

Stephanie said...

Well, I was hungry before I read your post and now I'm extra hungry after seeing these delicious photos!

Thanks for the recipe, Jann. Have a great weekend!

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Sounds great! I love chili on a cold day, such a great comfort food!

HWIT BLOGG said...

Sounds just great! I love chili!
Warm hug,
Titti

Linda W. said...

Oh, this looks wonderful! I'll have to try your recipe!

decorayadora said...

Hi dear ajan !, que delicious ,, esa receta ,,,espero que tengas un entretenido fin de semana
Cariños

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

I am excited to try this chili as I've been looking for a good and easy recipe for a while now. thanks!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

It looks yummy and the cornbread is a fun addition to your meal! I love coming home to dinner already cooked in the crockpot!
Vickie

Debby said...

Yummmmm. I like the idea of using steak. Great for a cold day.

farmhouse-story said...

thanks for sharing--my husband loves chili! have a great day, jann!

Jas @ All that's Jas said...

I love your cornbread molds. I really thought that was real corn for a second, lol

Junkchiccottage said...

Yum Jann. Love the cornbread molds too. What a nice sweet and easy dinner for a cold evening.
Kris

HWIT BLOGG said...

Looks really good! A nice dinner for a cold evening in january!
Have a happy day...
Love Titti

Tea in the Library said...

Looks delish. Love the cute corn bread pans!!!

Anne's Attic - Design said...

A pot of chili really sounds great right about now, I'll have to try your recipe, and your corn bread looks great. Right now I am having a tea party with my granddaughter, herb mint tea and PBJ with the crusts cut off. What a day! Jo

Leovi said...

Thank you very much very good food !! That rich recipe!

Rose L said...

Mmmm! Did you know that Mexicans/Hispanics never put beans in their chili? My friends who are Hispanic say that the idea was started by "white people."

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I pinned this on my Man Food board because my husband would LOVE this!

Fran said...

Steak Chili in the crockpot is my favorite type of chili! Your recipe is very similar to mine-- the only differences are the spices--and I can't wait to try yours out! I hope you are staying warm and enjoying January! :) --Fran

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

I love chili and yours looks so good, I rarely make since hubs will not eat it. He's such a picky eater. Chili is so perfect for this chili weather...ha ha aren't I funny? Love your corn bread molds. Thanks for sharing!

Ein Dekoherzal in den Bergen said...

vielen DANK für deine lieben WORTE......
ich freu mich sehr,,,
auf ein schönes JAHR 2015....
bis bald die BIRGIT

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Steak! Oh this sounds good...thanks for sharing!

Julia said...


Que bonito post, me he paseado por tu bloc y me ha encantado.
Te animo a hacer una ojeada en el post de esta semana y seguro que veras algunas ideas realmente interesantes.Deseo que te guste y si es así me alegraria que te hicieras seguidora. gracias por visitarme.
Elracodeldetall.blogspot.com

Creations By Cindy said...

YUM! That looks so good!!!! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

She Yarns Crochet said...

This looks like my kind of chili. Thanks for sharing with us at Funtastic Friday. Hope to see you again soon.

Instagram